|Atheism portal ·|
Welcome to the Atheism wiki community. It may seem ironic to host an atheist community on a Religion wiki, but it seems fitting.
The goal of this community is to allow people who share the atheist belief to congregate and discuss their beliefs.
One might be thinking that atheism has little to do with religion, but perhaps it is the oldest belief system, for as long as there have been people who have believed in gods, there have been those who do not believe.
There are two interpretations of atheism, which is just a word, and words mean whatever people believe they mean. Some view atheism as the lack in belief in God or Gods, and some believe atheism to mean the lack of belief. The word religion can also be interpreted different, some (mainly monotheists) define it as the believe if God, others would define it as a belief system (which includes many philosophies, the difference between a religion and philosophy being the number and devotion of the adherents).
Many believe one can be an atheist and yet be religious, many of the world religions allow for a belief in atheism, many Buddhist and Confucians are atheist. One could even argue that Taoists can be atheists as they believe in a cosmic force (sort of like believing in electro-magnetism), not a god. There are also many new age religions, such as the Church of Reality and Yoism that support an atheist belief.
Others believe the claim that one cannot be an atheist and yet be religious. They consider atheism is not a belief, but the lack there of. In a similar way of thinking, it would be prudent to say that all people who do not wear hats are 'hatless' and thus they do not believe that wearing a hat is the right thing to do. Religions do not accept atheism (and vice versa), for that would be a complete contradiction by definition of the two terms. Confucianism and similar schools of thought and philosophies are not religions and only preach how people should live their lives, thus not contradicting with Atheism. To put it bluntly, atheism is the acceptance of the nature of the universe and the natural laws which are contained within. Religion deals with concepts that cannot be explained by natural laws or sciences, such as omnipotent deities or the existence of the soul.
A list of churches with atheist beliefs.
Sermons and Blogs
A list of atheist sermons and blogs.
- Thank God for Atheists
- Daylight Atheism
- Atheism Central
- Unorthodox Atheism
- No God Blog
- Unholy Bible
- Atheist Revolution
- Atheist Prophet
- The Atheist Jew
- Atheist Blogs Aggregated
- Atheist Top Sites
- There is no God
- The Heretical Skeptic, Rev.
- "We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
- "Thank God I'm an atheist." - Luis Buñuel
- "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." - Christopher Hitchens
- "The inhabitants of the earth are of two sorts: Those with brains, but no religion, And those with religion, but no brains." - Abu'l-`Ala' al-Ma`arri (Arabic: أبو العلا المعري)
- "It will not do to investigate the subject of religion too closely, as it is apt to lead to Infidelity." - Abraham Lincoln
- "God is an essence we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is gotten rid of there will never be any liberal science in the world." - John Adams
- "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig